Vision & Mission
The cornerstones of nonprofit success
- Vision & mission
- Staff & volunteers
- People respond to vision and mission
- Vision: How will the world be different if you receive all the resources you need to fulfill your vision?
- Mission: What is the essence of your work to advance toward your vision?
- Formal market research - Quantitative, Qualitative
- Phone or mail surveys
- Online surveys
- Focus groups
- Mall intercepts
- One-on-one interviews
- Informal research
- Random surveys
- Random calls to donors
- Donor consultation groups
- Your identity starts with your name
- What does your name mean?
- How long is your name?
- Is a short form possible?
- Do you use initials – and are they "IBM?"
- What do you really call your organization?
- Do outsiders call it that, too?
- More about organizational identity
- Your "look"
- Your tagline or slogan
- Your "story"
- Your "look"
Unique Competitive Advantage
Who are you, and what do you do?
- How do you describe your organization?
- What service or product do you provide?
- Who are the beneficiaries of your work?
- How long have you been in business?
- What is your track record?
- What is special about your organization?
Now, how does your organization stack up against your competition?
- Unique Competitive Advantage Unique Competitive Advantage - What does your organization do better than every other organization in the world?
- As defined by something you do?
- Where you do it?
- For whom you do it?
- How much of it you do?
- How you do it?
- How well you do it?
- We’re #2. We try harder.
- The quicker picker-upper
- When it absolutely, positively has to get there overnight.
- The good neighbor people.
- You’re in good hands with Allstate.
- When you care enough to send the very best.
Positioning – nonprofit style
- A mind is a terrible thing to waste.
- Family is our middle name.
- Only you can prevent forest fires.
- Explore, enjoy and protect the planet.
- Finding the ways that work.
The "elevator rap"
What do you say on an elevator?
- How can you describe your organization in less than 30 seconds?
- How can you motivate a stranger to take interest in your organization?
- How can you touch the heart, the head, and the spirit?
- Practice with colleagues
- Practice with family members
- Practice with strangers
- Organize a game of it, with prizes
- Monthly online fundraising newsletter free
- Just hand me your business card
- Or write your email address and details on a slip of paper
Ben Cohen and Mal Warwick (2006). Values-Driven Business: How to Change the World, Make Money, and Have Fun. JBerrett-Koehler Publishers. ISBN 1576753581.