Hey there, going to organize this research in two ways. First I'll list opportunities that I've found in the environment/energy conservation realm. It seems there is already a section below that has been started for that.
Second, in the silicon valley orgs section of this page I'll list the most useful Silicon Valley volunteering/opportunities databases or listings I've found. Use these if you want to do further research, and in a few months when we change topics, we'll copy and paste these resources to our new topic section so we don't recreate work.
Silicon Valley Organizations Edit
alphabetical order people (cause this list is gonna grow)!
- Bay Area Volunteer Center  Seems like a low-key site, but there look to be some potential resources too.
- City Team This is the link for SJ.  They seem to have a lot of social services. This could be awesome for a future project.
- One Brick (they're national) Click on the event calendar in the center of the page for the most relevant information for opportunities in this area.
- Our City Forests 
- Volunteer Center of Silicon Valley When you click on "volunteer" opportunities it redirects you to 1-800-volunteer.com, but I list them because they could be affiliates in the future.
- Volunteer Match Another nationwide site. , they have better organization and seem to be more comprehensive than most. Check out their volunteer listings for SJ at 
- Sempervirens Fund []The purpose of Sempervirens Fund is to preserve and protect the natural character of California's Santa Cruz Mountains and to encourage appropriate public enjoyment of this environment.
"Green" Resources Edit
- Acterra [] A good environmental resource, especially for the Bay. Check out their Ecocalendar for other compiled Green events in the Bay Area. Cindy is trying to connect with them about coming in and speaking at one of our meetings.
- Alliance for Climate Protection[] Al Gore's lil NPO. Check out ideas for community actions/campaigns []
- Ideabite [] Daily e-tips for Green living.
- Saves the Bay[]
- Treehugger []TreeHugger is the leading media outlet dedicated to driving sustainability mainstream. Partial to a modern aesthetic, we strive to be a one-stop shop for green news, solutions, and product information. At TreeHugger we know that variety is the spice of life, so you can find all you need to go green in our up to the minute blog, weekly and daily newsletters, weekly video segments, weekly radio show and our user-generated blog, Hugg. We also extend our expertise to companies looking for a little green guidance.
- Urban Alliance for Sustainability [] UAS seeks to integrate and inspire the sustainability movement in the San Francisco Bay Area and beyond.
Volunteer Opportunities Edit
I tried to keep in mind our 2/3 month time frame when searching for opps. So I'll list dates when I can. Some might be smaller opps (pruning roses!), but I felt I should list numerous and maybe we can do more than one if time permits.
- Acterra []
Habitat restoration for the Arastadero Preserve. Higher involvement projects include: volunteering for their Green@Home Program or becoming an Environmental Leader.
- Grid Alternatives 
A great find of Matt, Grid specifically works on renewable energy and efficiency in energy use.
- Hidden Villa A CSA in Los Altos Hills. Horticulture Worker - Thursday & Friday mornings; 2nd & 4th Saturdays/month. Work with the Horticulture Manager in maintaining Hidden Villa as an enjoyable place for garden strolls as well as a safe refuge for wildlife. Learn about plant propagation, identification and care of native plants, and garden design. Hands-on work includes planting, weeding, irrigating, fertilizing, composting, and mulching. .
The Heritage Rose Garden needs volunteers to snip all the dead roses in order to promote more bloom. We’re hoping you will help us on Tuesday, August 14, from 5:30 – 7:00 pm, with a sweet payoff at the end. No experience necessary. Volunteer experts will show you how. Bring your own by-pass clippers, or borrow one from the staff. No experience necessary. The San Jose Heritage Rose Garden is located on Taylor Street, at Spring Street, just east of Coleman Avenue. For more information, and to sign up, contact our Volunteer Coordinator, Lucy Perez, at 408-298-7657 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Our City Forests []
Become a Tree Amigo. Tree Amigos have facilitated the planting and caring of over 40,000 shade trees. Over 500 Santa Clara County residents have attended the 17-hour training course for Tree Amigos to learn about trees in the urban environment. After graduation, Tree Amigos assist Our City Forest with tree plantings, tree care projects and education programs in neighborhoods and at schools. A good description of a Tree Amigo is a "coach". They help residents and students plant and care for their trees.
Think of all the parks in the county, now think of all the opps. The first link is an explanation of them. This is their schedule for Aug. and Sept.
- San Francisquito-or something Creek work 
They don't have any work dates until September, but they have stream cleaning and habitat restoration... which sound cool.
- Saves the Bay[]
Environmental events calendar with many opportunities in the Bay Area.